Monday, April 18, 2011

Another unbelievable weekend in Rongchang County!

When faced with the enormity of events it is often hard to elucidate the actual affect that they have on a person.  The emotion is still fresh for me, and I find it hard to really elaborate at great length the reality of all the wonderful things I was fortunate to be a part of.  In reality, the only time I am really able to try and get a good hold on my feelings is when I am running.  In this way, running has become the best past time for me.  The weekend started off auspiciously enough with the commencement ceremony for our students’ sports celebration.
The importance of the sports celebration was brought to life by the eloquence, pomp, and pageantry of the opening day ceremony.  Cory and I were seated with the universities department heads; an honor which I felt I was not worthy of being bestowed upon me.  The ceremony began at 8:00 am and lasted until 9:30 am. 
For the past month and a half my students diligently practiced their roles, positions, and prescribed actions during the ceremony.  The hard work definitely paid off during the opening day ceremony.  The students were in sync in their movements as they paraded around the track.  For the next hour and a half many different forms of Chinese celebratory expression were acted for the delight of the onlookers, faculty, and staff. 
It is important here for me to make a quick digression.  In the case with many ceremonies which outstrip their intrinsic value many students were clearly not motivated to be a part of the celebration.  Nonetheless, a major Chinese custom is to always save face by putting on a “good” face no matter what.  In this way, my students and many Chinese people are able to ride the good and bad times in spite of their emotions.  I was also struck by the lack of smiling during the performance.  Another clearly cultural difference in emotions, many Chinese are reluctant to show emotion during celebrations.  It is an interesting cultural difference which I plan to think more about at length before I make any comment on it.
The next day, Cory and I set off with Mr. Tian and Mr. Tang to visit the 800 plus year old Buddhist temple carvings of Da Zu.  Cory and I were very pleased to be personally driven by Mr. Tang.  Travelling by bus is always an adventure and we enjoyed being able to have our minds at ease during the duration of the trip with our travel plans in the care of Mr. Tian and Mr. Tang.
The Da Zu wall carvings are nestled in the protected enclosure of the baodingshan Mt.  The detail, texture, scope, design, and synthesis of ideas all came together beautifully in the Da Zu carvings.  I was lost for words to describe the beauty of this internationally renowned site.  Around 1125 A.D. a Buddhist monk from India brought with him the design and motivation for the carvings.  In 70 years his vision was able to transform the peaceful mountain side of Da Zu into a magnificent wall carving depicting Buddhist law, Chinese tradition, Confucian ethics, Taoist essence, etc.  The result was a design not lacking in magnitude the beauty of any other religious sanctuary I have seen before.
   In the evening, Cory and I were joined by some of our Chinese friends for a fun K.T.V. night of signing.  I was not sure what to think about this beforehand due to my lack of vocal talents.  However, I was encouraged to learn that we would only be singing in our small group of friends.  In this intimate setting I found that I really enjoyed the experience and had an absolute blast! 
The next morning I awoke ready to go on a bike ride with a friend from town.  I was discouraged to see that the previous night the rain had dampened the road and it looked as if we were going to have to call a rain check.  However, no more than thirty minutes later I was invited to a Lou Jiao La (fun at the farmer’s) day with my friends co-workers.  I had no plans that afternoon and was really curious to see what kind of activities we would partake in.
I was extremely interested in the entire concept of the afternoon festivities.  The complex was built on the vast expanse of a mountain in which many tea plants were cultivated.  The complex itself was modern and was build with the sole intent of allowing for hosting a Chinese group.  There were badminton courts, ping-pong tables, tables for playing cards (ma Jung), and a dining hall for meals.
I enjoyed an afternoon of meeting Maggie’s colleagues, playing badminton, hiking, and eat delicious food!  Of course, I tried out my meager Chinese language skills to try and at least humor my guests into realize how honored I was to be a part of such an afternoon.  In a typical Chinese fashion I was not allowed to pay for anything and encouraged to come back again next time such an afternoon excursion was planned.  Words do not nearly express how fortunate I am to be in a place where hospitality exceeds gratitude.  Even if I was to be ungracious I am certain that the Chinese would continue to invite a foreigner to such events.  In this way, I am always shocked when I hear about a person being ungracious, disrespectful, or flat out rude to their Chinese guests.  I abjure such behavior and would not tolerate it in my presence.
On Sunday I was invited to another incredible day of celebration for Mr. Tian’s wife’s birthday.  I also unfortunately tasted for the first time the strength of unbridled Chinese liquor.  The affects of a little Bi jiao on an untrained system can wreck havoc on a person.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed delicious food, toasting, and much merry-making from all involved in the festivities.  A nice capping off another glorious weekend spent in China!
Best Regards All,
Erik
   
              

2 comments:

  1. Erik, I am so thrilled for you on this amazing journey. A very dear friend adopted her daughter from China 9 years ago and when she is 15 we are going to China to take her back to where she came from for a visit. I will be following...don't give up on American high school students - take what you are learning and change our environment....just a thought! Love you, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,

    It is great to hear from you! I know that your experience in China will be very rich indeed! I look forward to hearing more about your life in America. I think that you make a great suggestion for me and I will take it to heart. I just do not know where my future path in life will take me as of now!

    Love,

    Erik

    ReplyDelete