Monday, May 23, 2011

Discovery learning from inward reflection and new twists in China!

This past week my mind occupied itself in reflections more than at any point of my time in China.  Three major things attributed to this mental state of being.  First, having a week without classes past Wednesday due to a high number of major tests for my students in their major classes certainly presented me with more time for deliberations.  Secondly, being bereft of my iPod for an extended amount of time has allowed me to really let my mind wander while running.  A parallel piece in this puzzle has to be my finishing of Gandhi’s experiments on “Truth” in his life autobiography.  I have become a very conscientious participant in some of his experiments and also a passive one throughout this incredible novel.  I am truly in awe with this man’s devotion to service or “seva” in Hinduism.
My initial thoughts revolved around a person’s discipline and the strengthening of my own personal faith life.  I was struck by Gandhi’s resolve to his morals throughout his life even when he was greatly tested.  Gandhi’s religious journey reminds me of someone who truly was willing to seek truth at every corner and thus expounded thoughts from both Islamic and Christian ideas as well.  The most central belief in Gandhi’s early religious life was his witnessing of his mother’s adherence to strict Vaishnava vows which she would keep at all costs.  In light of his families’ adherence to setting hard vows, such as fasting, Gandhi also compelled himself to remain loyal to his personal vows and experiments with “truth” in his own life.
Gandhi’s one true passion in life was to seva or “loving service”.  Gandhi felt great compassion for the needy, poor, untouchable, and out-casts of society.  He dedicated his public life to serving these people at all times and capacities.  Gandhi’s profession as a lawyer allowed him to treat cases which he felt compelled him to act in accordance with “truth”.  Thus, Gandhi made it known that he would not tolerate a false claim even by his own client.  He even went so far as to tell a judge one time that his client was guilty and should serve time in jail.  In his love for his clients Gandhi never charged any fees if he won or lost the case (he won many); however, he charged only a nominal sum for his services at the onset of the case.  Gandhi’s frugal lifestyle and belief in voluntary service compelled him to never take advantage of any of his clients.  His reputation preceding him, Gandhi always had a loyal group of people who helped him in his cases.
He also felt a great compassion for the care of sick, ill, and diseased people in the world.  The trauma of not being able to tend to his father during his last moments on his death-bed left an indelible mark on young Gandhi.  Gandhi volunteered in the Boer War, Zulu rebellion, and World War I as a medical assistant.  His pledge to ahimsha or “non-violence” alienated some of his colleagues by volunteering in any capacity in war; however, Gandhi’s logical explanation to even these rebukes developed him a strong relationship with British officials who helped him in his quest for Hind Sawarji or (Indian home rule).  I could go on and on about this remarkable individual, but I feel that I must stop this digression in a need for expediency with the rest of this blog.
I used my extra time to deliberate Gandhi, service, truth, and connections with these themes in my own life.  I am constantly struck by the many ways in which the mind attempts to play tricks with humans.  As soon as I attempted to make such experiments with removing ephemeral and frivolous things in my own life I felt a sense of longing for them.  However, as soon as these things are re-introduced into one’s mind they are relegated as normal and thus un-satisfying.  In such a way I am training my mind to learn how to give up some of the things I feel are getting in the way of truth in my own life. 
I enjoyed my walks, runs, and journaling regarding these topics.  I also thought about how my life’s occupation could influence service.  Do I still feel that I am able to serve selflessly for the sake of society, or do I have other machinations that are the real motivations behind my actions?  It is something that I felt was very worthy of introspective reflections.
I have also been improving my Chinese at a good rate lately.  I am actually able to communicate on some everyday things now like the weather, activities, observations, etc.  It is always fun for me on runs to stop and acknowledge some group of people in Chinese when I hear them talking about me in Chinese.  This really throws people for a loop and is a good chance for me to practice my Chinese.  All in all both groups are satisfied with these encounters.
I was joined by a couple high school students on the way back from a run the other day which was really exciting.  We talked in Chinese together as we ran which was pretty cool.  I also enjoyed several other conversations on this run which always make my day.  I am also greatly pleased to say “hi” or “hello” to someone after they acknowledge me in English.  Rather than think of these conversations as a deterrent to activity; I find that simply acknowledging people on my runs makes them all the more wonderful.  If I can make someone’s day by simply acknowledging them than I will gladly do it at every corner.
I look forward to recommencing classes this week.  Cory and I have had a lot of extra time; however, I feel that if I am getting paid to teach I would like to feel like I am earning my pay for a service that I am giving.  Nonetheless, I am enjoying every day as a fresh and independent experiment with truth as I continue to think about my own life while I enjoy myself in China!
I pray for those affected by the tornado in Minneapolis yesterday.  I hope all is well with everyone!
Erik
   

No comments:

Post a Comment