Monday, May 30, 2011

A Marvelous May!

Cultural lessons, time warps, inspirations, and a wonderful treat!  That seems quite a lot to be expounded on in a mere week’s time.  However, this has been not a regular week in any sense of the word.  Every week in China delivers a myriad of discoveries a week before thought to be out of the realm of possibilities.  I feel that places are always an important part of all of our lives’.  I knew that I had such a great place back home in MN; however, I felt sure that I needed to get a stronger world perspective to be a part of this global world.  This goes back to basic ideals behind my adventures abroad.  I have great goals in my life, and I knew than as I do now that in order to achieve them I will have to be better acquainted with the ever changing world we live in today.
In my case, I have been cherishing the ability to grow ever since I casually interviewed several people who spent extended times living abroad.  I wanted to hear about their experiences, find similarities, and ask some questions about their travels.  To a “T” every one of them commented on the changes which took place in their own lives.  I am starting to internalize some of those changes which are being made in my own life.  This week was filed with another very un-predictable student attendance in all of my classes which enhanced my opportunities and time alone for thought.  I am also finding that time spent on my runs in introspection are allowing my mind to search quite deeper into ideas than ever before.  In this way, running has become an outlet for my mind’s mental release.  I am also increasing my training level for my marathon that I have been training for next year to run in Chongqing.  All in all, it has been a very productive week in retrospect!
On another note, I am constantly practicing my Chinese.  Every person I see I try and make some trivial comment in the standard Putonghua “Mandarin” Chinese.  In such a way, I am trying to practice my five different tones of speech.  I am also practicing my listening skills when I get a follow up question, usually in such a fast response that my head feels like it is spinning.  I have no fear in my response; however, I know that the mere fact that I am trying to speak Chinese gives me strength to carry on the struggle which I know will only get better with time. 
My cultural lessons have been spurred by the wonderfully interesting novel, “Cosmopolitanism” by Kwane Anthony Apiahe.  His philosophies on living in the world today are historically, anthropologically, psychologically, socially, culturally, and logically sound in much reasoning.  He does such a sensible way of underlining the flaws in positivism, expounding on the fallacies of modern movements built around branding societies as being archaic, delivering arguments against “universals”, etc.  At first, I was very skeptical in agreeing with him.  However, when he so eloquently stated that people within your own American neighborhood might argue so greatly on an issue such as “abortion”, gay marriage, etc his logical struck me.  In reading this book I am continuing to shape how I see the world which was my main goal in my adventures abroad.
So many great thoughts come out of looking into issues such as these.  What is the best possible policy for governments to make?  What is the role of an educated person in the world today?  Can a place really be faulted for being angry with a foreign power which tells them they should change their society for the mere reason which they do not agree with them?  All in all, questions such as these are very important to ask yourself and reason through.  What if the tables were turned and a foreign place were to tell you how to think and feel…  How would you respond to them? 
Please do not confuse Mr. Apiahe for having a certain political philosophy as well.  He certainly differs with his perspectives across the board.  For example, he argues that “universal” cultural imperialism is a fallacy which has been repeated over centuries.  The Greeks, Romans, Huns, British, Chinese, French, and now the current big dog, “Americans” have all at one point or time been able to export their cultures from one way or another.  Either the passing of time, the power of conquests, or economic expansion, has allowed each great nation to spread their ideas and some argue “ideals” to other nations. 
However, here is where Mr. Apiahe takes a turn in his political philosophy.  He argues that each place has their own culturally, in each case, motivated adaptation of American products.  He starts his basis off with television programs watched around the world.  When researching each place’s interests in these American T.V. programs; Mr. Apiahe has come up with some illuminating cultural norms which each group has drawn from each episode.  People in Spain see program as having a specific lesson; whereas, Israeli women cultivate something completely different.  It is an interesting concept to argue that big American CEO’s want to brain wash people who cannot even agree on what that message is…
  Anyways, Mr. Apiahe’s lessons go much further into the psychological pieces of each thought.  Can a person really think that something is a part of their personal “culture” when half the time whatever the “cultural thing” maybe is probably not even a part of your actual culture’s history.  Well, how can that be?  That makes no sense; however, when you trace the trail of the past the truth becomes inextricably drawn to the vast trading of ancient times.  Some argue that Bagpipes where brought to Scotland by the Romans, that Ghana’s sacred garbs were brought from to Africa from the “silk road”, pizza was created out of Marco Polo’s failed attempt to teach people how to make Chinese dumplings, etc.  All of these thoughts and much more examples better help a “Cosmopolitan” think about how the world was, is, and might be…
My time warp has been applying some of these lessons to my own thoughts on the world.  I have come from a socio-economically middle class, “WASP”, and American back ground.  My education was first-rate, my family loves and supports me, and my future is bright.  My world views have been shaped primarily from this background which I cannot blame myself for.  All people have these same restrictions to their own realities.  I cannot never know how a vagabond feels, a priest, or farmer.  I can only hope to try and understand my own life which leads me to my wonderful deliberations which have come out of my greatly enhanced world view.  In only five short months I have learned more about myself, the world, and life than in my previous 23 years of life.  I can only think with extreme interest what new lessons, trials, and triumphs are around the corner as my journey continues!
My inspiration has come from continuing to keep my vows which I have created in respect to lessons I drew from Gandhi’s revelations on “truth”.  I have always thought that no one way is best at discovering “truth”.  I believe that all people have an innate desire to learn about truth.  I know that I always have in my own life.  In this way, I am trying to apply some of Gandhi’s experiments to enhance my own faith, life, beliefs about the world, etc.  I feel that a unique trait of Gandhi’s was his visceral love of humanity.  I can only hope to try and let his “fire” shine in my own life.  Every day I try to be as courteous, happy, and responsive with my Chinese friends / students / and of course Cory.
I also had the wonderful opportunity of sharing another amazing dinner with Mr. Tian, his wife, and Cory.  Afterwards, we all went to KTV and sang the night away.  It was so awesome to be able to hear Mrs. Tian sing.  She is a part of a local choir and has the ability to tie each note inextricably into a rhythm enmeshed with the essence of a traditional Chinese female voice!  What a treat!  Cory and I also enjoyed singing quite a few American songs.  Cory also has the wonderful skill of singing a couple of Chinese songs which dazzled all of the spectators!  A wonderful way to end a dynamite month of May!
I hope that all is well with all of you back home in America! 

Best     

No comments:

Post a Comment