Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A beautiful week in Rongchang!

This week in Rongchang has been absolutely beautiful.  The weather has stayed consistent and I have enjoyed immensely my time outside running along the river.  In my experience, the tile surface on the group here is much different than in the States.  Therefore, when it rains here the tile becomes almost a variable ice rink!  To continue my pursuit of running I have one great remedy: our campus track.  There I have found that the running is consistent no matter what the weather is like outside!  I am also enjoying doing a bit of hill exercising.  The view from the top provides a wonderful panorama of Rongchang and the countryside!
I just finished reading two quite wonderful books.  One by Simon Baker catalogued the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.  I recommend this works for anyone who has interest in Roman history but is not an expert.  An expert would find some of the work un-illuminating.  I also finished Thoreau’s brief work on Civil Disobedience.  The importance of this work is well document in the many successful and failed attempts at non-violent resistance in the last two centuries.  I felt a sense that Thoreau did not complete grasp the causation behind some of his assessments in “Civil Disobedience”.  Not to say that I disagree with his over-arching arguments.  However, Thoreau’s works machinations for an equalitarian state does not fully grasp the expediency in which a government would have to go about judging human actions on a level playing field.  In his utilitarian approach he would have not liked the idea of humans (in this case the government) being able to actually “read” your mind and judge your actions.  I cannot think of any other conceivable way that a human could be judge in an unbiased fashion.  Even if such technology did exist it would take a very equalitarian individual and “state” to administer such judgment fairly.  I doubt that an unabashed individualist such as Thoreau would ever submit to such expedient government actions freely.
Thoreau is quite right in many ways still today.  People in power will never submit willingly to a shake-up of a system in which their eminently high social position rests.  In this way, it is unlikely that radical legislation would ever be met with a majority vote.  Also, Thoreau’s perspective of the state and people action’s remaining obstinately restrained in times of turmoil is correct.  Innate human predisposition creates a need for stability.  Thus, often people will wait until the last possible moment to actually try and change something that in any way might greatly impact their life.  Even if their action bears an auspicious fruition people will often decline radical action.  It is as true in Thoreau’s time as it is today.    
I have started reading Dostoevsky’s Brothers Karamazov.  Overall I really like this work.  Dostoevsky does a brilliant job of painting characters that come to life on print.  His unique style of writing also contains many satirical pieces in it which I am greatly amused with.  I have also started reading an autobiography on Gandhi.  I have always been greatly interested in this man and look forward to discovering his creative philosophies.
I have also been writing lately in my “thoughts” journal.  In this journal I have a myriad of topics ranging from “time”, to “freedom”, to “China”, and beyond.  Of late I included a deep thought on religion.  I continue to try and grasp this sometimes nebulous topic through pen.  I often like to draw comparisons between the different religions and find similarities.  I have found that it makes me feel a greater connection with other people and places.  In this way I have found that I am also becoming a more open person to new ideas.  For example, I like the idea of meditation on important questions.  I look forward to trying to mediate deeply this summer while Cory will be away in the U.S.!  I also recently compiled a list of all of the things that I am thankful for in life.  This was an interesting, illuminating, and worth-while activity.  I highly recommend it for anyone who has some spare time!  Some of the things I ended up putting down I would not have come to mind unless I would have take the time to put my thoughts to pen!  It is always good to remember all the things that we are thankful for!
I am also enjoying my first couple of lesson in Chinese oral and written language.  I am starting to get down some of the basics which I am very excited about!  I am very fortunate that Mr. Tian has taken some of his time to help me improve my Chinese.  Cory has also joined me for these appointments.  I enjoy having him there.  He often provides tips for me to help me in my learning.
Overall, it has been a great week here in wonderful Rongchang!  One note of concern is that I suffered my first migraine headache in about seven years yesterday.  I am pleased that some nice rest and Excedrin did the trick for me!  I hope and pray that all is well with all back in America!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment