Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chongqing Weekend

free time - time that is free from duties or responsibilities
In my experience a typical weekend as a young adult in America always offered a nice respite from the daily routine of a week’s work.  I would often spent this time with friends, family, or by myself recycling what seemed like an endless list of timeless stimulus.  America is famous around the world for its free time pursuits.  Once again permeating from America’s major source of cultural exportation; movies, create a negatively connotative paradigm of what a normal America weekend synthesis involves.  Thus it would seem apropos for an American to go into the night with the mindset of being able to have his fill of libation, find a beautiful Asian girl, and decidedly have his way with the place in their lustful crusade for self gratifying fulfillment.  At least that is what the movies would portray the appropriate line of conduct for an American to behave with.
In my experiences thus far I can safely say that I have seen this side of western culture peak its pathos into the oriental nightlife.  A group of Caucasian males stormed into the Chongqing Cotton Club looking to bring multiple un-opened beer bottles into the club.  When the security guard refused them entrance they began to put up a pathetic remonstrance as to why they should be allowed to bring their beverages into the club.  The verdict, they were refused entrance until they finished their beers outside the premises.  However, signs earlier in the night also lead me to believe that there are many foreigners who do have enough cultural respect and refrain from over stepping their stature.
Upon arriving to Chongqing city, Cory and I left the bus stop station only to begin our journey engulfed by a large group of people.  Truly, the mere enclosure of the train station seemed a micro chasm of experience in large Chinese cities.  The noise, people, begging, homeless, and bustling of the city were all in full effect this afternoon.  Cory and I were lucky to find an honorable cab driver who offered us a cheap rate for the busiest time for travel in the city.  Cory was able to work his Chinese magic once again by striking up a conversation with our host.  He soon opened up to us and gave us an extra fair closer to our intended location.  He next told us that the police would be able to speak English and direct us to our hostel.  Well done Cory!  Upon arriving at the Hostel we checked in and were meet soon after by Cory’s longtime friend, Lili Chen. 
Together we went to do a little sightseeing before we eventually went out to eat at a fancy western restaurant.  Of course Lili spared no expense and paid for our meal in whole!  This cultural custom is certainly not a novelty.  Feeling a sense of entitlement can really throw off the experience though.  Cory and I always offer to pay and are frankly rejected each sortie!  I won a small victory a few weeks ago by taking a group out to dinner and paying for all myself.  A small first step for man… 
After dinner we went sightseeing further around the restaurant complex.  The restaurants and shopping mall was all built on a cliff.  Chongqing truly is a city on the mountains, for this complex was beautifully landscaped and its architectural glory was plain to see.  Afterwards we meet up with other foreign teachers for what would be a night of celebrating! 
Truly I enjoyed myself along with the other foreign teachers in what would be my first experience with Chinese nightlife on a grand scale.  The mixture of bars and clubs would have been enticing to any party seeker around the world.  I tried my best to remember my cultural relativism learned previously from my experiences with Chinese males and females.  Some of their cultural norms such as dancing are much different in China.  I really wanted to be cautious upon meeting the females and still enjoy the moment.  This proved to be a little bit of a wait-and-see experience as I would slowly make my way over to a several females over a period of time.  Each attempt seemed like a very protracted experience to any seasoned American twenty-three year old.  After what would feel like an epoch of time passing I would begin dancing deliberately closer.  At this point, reading the female’s body language became ever important.  It was critical to pick up on their non verbal physical body cues.  I kept my hands in a very neutral position and refrained from using the dancing phenomenon of “grinding”. 
In each case, I could tell that the females were glad that I was showing them attention but not interested in dancing any further.  It was a good first lesson for me in the social-sexual relationship between males and females from two very different cultures!  Another important part of this experience was watching Cory and our other friend Keegan interacting with their Chinese female friends.  In this way I am hoping to continuing gleaning new ways of interacting with the fairer sex in China!  It is also going to help me practice my Chinese since I know now that I would like to be able to communicate with them to help show them that I am not a stereotypical American thrill seeker.  In this way I hope to gain their trust which is essential for any relationship.  This is especially important in China were trust and respect are synonymous to success!
On Sunday I went on a wonderful morning run alongside the Yangtze River.  Although it was raining I enjoyed it greatly.  Cory and I shook off the cob-webs from the pat night and went on an afternoon of sightseeing.  I think we both truly enjoyed our brief American pleasures by eating at KFC and indulging on some gelato ice cream!  The people watching is always magnificent in China.  The women truly are beautiful in Chongqing.  I am not sure if it is the natural fog which leaves their skin softer, the fact that it is very mountainous requiring exercise to travel, or the water but it is truly amazing to see in person.
That evening we enjoyed another on the house fried and steamed dumpling meal for dinner and night on the town!  This time we went out only together since the foreign teachers went back to Beibei for the weekend. 
The next day was our easy journey back to Rongchang.  I can say that because Cory again carried me through the confusing Chinese travel system.  It is always a blessing to have him around to help figure things and act as a tour guide around the best parts of each place we visit. 
A short two hour ride home and another wonderful week of classes ahead of us to look forward to!  Just another example of the myriad reasons why living and teaching in China is quickly becoming the best decision of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment