Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Grappling with time...

Time is such a strange concept for me to grapple with.  It plays such an important part in all of our lives.  We schedule are lives around it, look forward, and dread things all based specifically on our individual predetermined idea of time.   Time is even stranger when one ponders the position of it in relationship to the universe itself.  Albert Einstein discovered that time does not even truly exist in our universe in the form in which humans have devised it.  Nonetheless, time plays an important role in society at large and is essential to organizing a schedule.  However, times practicality runs out when analyzing that its usefulness also hampers the one thing which we can only count on having: the present moment!  Too many people look forward to things in the future which leave them without enjoying the great moments which happen each day.  These daily miracles are often forgotten in the quagmire of things, ideas, obligations, responsibilities, etc that encapsulate the average persons routine.  Regardless of our best intentions we often miss out on these great things each day.  Unfortunately, the greatest negatively derived connation of living in this paradigm is the reality that when we reach that predetermined moment of time which we look to enjoy we meet the reality that time spent in bliss often speeds to an inevitably fast conclusion.  Soon we realize that our moment, the special one to be spent with friends and family is already gone and left forever.  Luckily, humans have the unique capacity for memory which naturally preserves these life moments in crystallized clarity.  Therefore, I have tried to change my thinking while living my everyday life in China. 
In China I have made it my goal to not overlook these tiny miracles each day.  From my nightly stop at our amiable barbecue street vendor, the inquisitive looks which Cory and I get while walking around Rongchang, the beauty of the hills overlooking an afternoon run, the time spent with my hospitable Chinese friends, the joy I get from teaching extremely interested students, time spent trying to communicate in my broken Chinese, to the hidden mysteries discovered from living in a foreign country!  All of these tiny miracles have defined my time in China.  It seems that I am still not yet feeling like I have settled into a routine yet.  Even after being here for a few weeks now I am constantly trying to fit in things which I feel would maximize my time here in China.  My time with Cory is always wonderful.  I am constantly reminded how great it is to have a great friend, mentor, tutor in all things China, and adventurer!  Other pursuits which I am thoroughly enjoying are walking around the town, running, reading (currently Roman history), writing, journaling, teaching, talking with my Chinese students, night activities, eating, eating, and more eating!  All of these things make my days really awesome in all sense of the word.
Time is also even more interesting when analyzing how much of it has passed in China.  All of the memories from past centuries permeate this ancient society.  It is hard to conceive all of the love lost & found, friends made, wars fought, celebrations, dynasties, emperors, and above all memories in this place. In China, the uniqueness of its language and tradition has saved each piece of this hallowed ground.  The preserved culture and tradition leaves in indelible marks on each piece of history saved and cherished within each ancient community.  In Rongchang, some of these are the “old” city of Lu Kong, or Yun Feng monastery.  Each town, village, and city has their own places which preserve their ancient tradition and culture.  During my time here I look forward to visiting as many of these as I possibly can.  
This weekend Cory and I are going to take a bus trip to Chongqing City, the capital city of Chongqing Municipality.  Overall I am very excited; however, it would be apropos in this new life changing analysis of time to not get too excited and enjoy my everyday miracles!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment