Friday, April 4, 2014

Chinese Immersion: An Opportunity for Professional Growth




                                After only about a month of time at home I found that my life was falling into a dangerous pattern of routine.  Knowing that I likely had several more months ahead of me consisting of similar happenings did nothing to improve my outlook.  Understandably, these combined factors started to create disillusionment in my life which is something that I never like to feel.  Fortunately for me, I was to learn that there was in fact a great opportunity for professional growth around the corner.

 

                                In late August, I was extremely pleased to learn that the Minnetonka School system was interested in meeting me in person regarding their Chinese Immersion program.  By this time in my maturation I was pretty confident in my ability to communicate orally in Mandarin Chinese.  Knowing this made me all the more willing to accept their invitation to learn more about the program at Minnetonka.

 

                                After our formative meeting I know that there was a unique opportunity for me within the district.  One trait which all humans pursue is feeling valued for their work.  Knowing that I was in fact valued for my novel experience and skills made me very interested in the program at Minnetonka.  Only later did the paradox of my situation enter into my consciousness.  It is still strange to think that I came home to America to teach Chinese to American students; whereas, I come to China to teach English to Chinese students.   

 

                                In all honesty, I was really excited about getting the opportunity to test out my Chinese back home in a professional environment.  I was also excited to witness and reflect upon the differences in current educational pedagogy, student behaviors, and content material between the United States and China.  Since both the ages of students and the content material are vastly different between countries and jobs it is clearly not wise to make presumptive statements without mentioning the limits of comparison.

 

                                In my opinion, teaching in both places offer unique challenges and opportunities for personal growth as a teacher.  I was really impressed by the knowledge and abilities of my middles schools students in the United States; whereas, I am equally impressed by the discipline and elevated position learning holds in China. 

 

                                Did I ever meet disciplined students who really valued their education in the United States?  Of course I did meet disciplined students during my time teaching back home.  Where there creative students how had a lot of potential in the classroom in China?  Naturally I have also met many gifted and talented students in China as well. 

 

                                To me, this is where the value of experience positively impacts a determined learner looking to improve their professional knowledge.  In summary, I found that no one situation did all of the stereotypes, biases, and prejudices actually end up true.  What this tells me is that a person who is determined to learn from their experiences must take careful notes and observations.  Too often humans think that things are so obvious or redundant in life.  This has the negative effect of leading some people to the outcome that life is quite banal and uninteresting.  To me, there could be nothing further from the truth than this, and throughout my life experience has taught me to always be observant of the minor similarities and differences between occurrences.   

 

                                Overall, I know that I benefited greatly both professionally and academically during my time working in Minnetonka's Chinese Immersion program.  I relished the opportunity to learn from tried professionals who were already well-versed in the difficulties of teaching in a foreign language.  Since I had no prior experience working in an immersion setting back home I knew that this was going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me to learn from this experience; therefore, I took notes often, asked a lot of questions, and tried my best to challenge myself throughout my time as a Chinese para-assistant. 

 

                                The three months that I worked at the school district really flew by for me.  During that period of time I learned a lot and always tried to come to class with the attitude of the learning enthusiast. 

 

I am really indebted to the district for this opportunity and look forward to hearing more about the Chinese Immersion program as it grows in the future.  At the end of my time in China I may walk through those school doors once more in pursuit of a full-time position with the program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment