Monday, April 28, 2014

Implementing the Project: Unexpected Successes and Miscalculated Errors


  

                                From the onset, I knew that the project was not going to be an easy one to implement.  Since I teach a large number of students, I knew that project coordination was going to be difficult to manage.  Likewise, it did not take me long to realize that just finding a time and place to meet was going to be a challenge.  While organizing the project, I learned that I was not the only one who was busy all of the time.  Through planning the project, I became aware that my students too were leading exceedingly past-paced lives.  

 

                                Since I am already working several part time jobs, tutoring, studying Chinese, as well as teaching at Southwest University my extra time is quite precious to me.  By taking on the extra-curricular work in addition to my other responsibilities I knew I was going to be pushing myself to my limit this semester.  Nevertheless, I recognized the importance of the work that I was doing for with students and the community of Beibei as being important.  I also had made getting students more involved in their community a major goal of mine this year.  If I was going to accomplish this goal I knew that I needed to start somewhere.

 

                                I started out my first week of classes on the topic of the Service Learning project.  I remember that first week being really excited about the semester's most important assignment.  I gladly fielded many well-thought out questions from students. 

 

                                After a couple of classes I realized that I was really glad that my students had given me some critical feedback regarding the project.  In some cases, I even found that I had not amply considered some of the possible results of several decisions.  In this way, I am indebted to the frank appraisal of my conscientious students.  Without their support the project would have gone nowhere in the beginning.

 

                                By the third week of classes I learned that I was going to need to try and coordinate about twenty different groups during the semester.  I let students decide their own group's mission statement, project type, meeting time, and etcetera.  In the beginning, I favored letting students decide as much as possible in regards to their project.  This bottom-top model of organization created an environment where students could feel a sense of responsibility for the outcome of the project.  One negative outcome of this model is that the leader is not free to arrange meeting times around their schedule.  If I had a top-bottom organizational command structure I would have more control over the meeting times and places the activities were being held at.

 

                                Students formed their own groups and decided the theme of their own individual project.  In the end, each class split up into four to six groups per section.  In whole, there would be a total of four classes involved in the project.  Since each group is supposed to volunteer for a minimum of three hours an activity the constraints on my schedule would be enormous.  I would be asking myself to volunteer around sixty hours this semester.  Knowing that I could not spend sixty hours on this project placed a sense of foreboding in my heart.

 

                                After much deliberation, I ended up changing the tactics of my project in order to grant myself more free-time during the semester.  I announced a new rule allowing myself to move freely between different projects being held at the same time.  The success of the project hinged on my commitment to spend hours volunteering this semester.  If I was going to accomplish this goal in a healthy way then having the ability to have some sort of personal life was going to be important too.

                                The projects that the students performed were wonderful to be a part of.  For example, throughout the semester different groups have visited retirement communities, picked up trash, planted trees, made crafts for donations, put up signs, cleaned classrooms, collected donations, and etcetera.  It has been a pleasure to witness students happily enjoying volunteering their time for the betterment of others.  I think for me the greatest highlight of the whole experience was visiting the retirement home with students. 

 

                                At the retirement home students and I sang songs, danced, talked, and attempted to perform all for the entertainment of the elderly inhabitants.  The merriment was literally palpable as retirees, students, and I all found the experience to be a worthwhile one. 

 

                                At the end of our time together both students and retirees encouraged me to sing a song for the group.  Since I only know the complete lyrics to a couple of songs I determined that signing the Beatles and Led Zeppelin were probably my best options to choose.  Thus, a group of elderly Chinese for probably the only time in their memory heard the lyrics of John Lennon and Robert Plant.  Now, how's that for "Talking a 'bout a Revolution?!?!"

 

                                I can safely say that I am extremely pleased with the results of the project so far.  During the course of the project, I learned that indeed many of my students thought of the project as nothing more than another request on their time; however, by the time that each group had finished their project their attitudes towards it had changed remarkably.  I was so encouraged to hear students tell me that they felt better about what they were doing while doing it. 

 

                                I have high hopes for the future regarding this project.  If things move ahead as planned, I can expect collaboration with some of the CSBSJU study abroad students next semester.  Judging by what I have experienced so far the future holds the opportunity for greater things to come.  In the future, I figure on continuing to alter my current project model.  If I keep my current strategy of flexible tactics then I am positive that things will move ahead in a favorable manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment