Monday, April 7, 2014

The Final Weeks in Minnesota: The Power of Saying Goodbye




                                Regardless of all of these revelations in my life, I still felt the force of my impending separation with my parents on my soul.  The weight of my departure was exacerbated by the realization that I would not return home for at least one year.  
                                I have discovered that I cannot ever really become accustomed to long-term partings with the people I truly love.  The circumstances of my father's continued fight with cancer as well as my uncle's struggle pushed me to thoroughly analyze my decision to return to China during the interim time I spent at home.  In reality, having to amply consider my reasons for coming to China had the positive effect of reinforcing my decision to return as well as made me more confident in my final decision.  In all earnestness, I can say that I completely bought into the reasons for returning to China before I had left home.
 
                                The final couple of days before our parting were spent mostly together as a family which was to all our liking.  During this time we took several pictures together, enjoyed a couple of delicious meals, went to the movies, played card games, and spent time chatting near the warmth of the basement fire.
                                As a parting gift I wrote my parents two letters.  One of the letters was in English and the other was in Chinese which I think they thought was appropriate despite the fact that they could not read it. 
                               My departure from the airport was of course the toughest parting for everyone.  After saying our goodbyes, exchanging hugs, and kisses we went in our separate directions.
                                The aforementioned revelations in my last blog helped me to feel that this parting was somehow different than in the past.  While departing, I still had a distinct feeling that this time we were leaving each other, yet I felt that our bond together was merely broken in the physical sense this time.  During previous departures I felt the emotional toll of my separation with my family heavily in my heart; whereas, this time I felt happiness in the knowledge that all parties possessed mutual understanding of the other parties involved.  I can contribute this feeling of emotional connection to the important conversations we had together while I was home over that six month period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment