Saturday, April 19, 2014

Taking the Middle Path: Finding Peace and Happiness in Balance


                                

                                Intimate friends and family members who speak frankly to me often say that I have a tendency to work too hard on achieving my goals.  Earlier in my life, I would ignore such advice and even scoff at the idea that I was working too hard.  In my mind, I was actually not working hard enough in order to achieve my goals since they were so important to me.

                               

                                Only through the passage of time and with the coming of age have I learned to become more observant of the world around me.  Regardless, it still has taken me many years to begin accepting the advice of others in certain situations.  If a person wants to try for their dreams then they must try in order to prevent holding onto a lifetime of regret.  When someone truly follows their heart even a logical argument opposed to their dream will have no effect in persuading that person to do something else.

 

                                My time in China leaves me feeling fulfilled because I have the opportunity to study Chinese every minute of every day while I am here.  I have already said that I have a proclivity towards focusing my efforts towards reaching one specific goal in life.  My goal-oriented life has had the effect of leaving some people feeling jealous of my ability to focus so exclusively on one thing at a time.  As I grew older, I learned that this power I possessed was both a gift and a curse.

 

                                It did not take me too many years to realize that if I was going to have a happy life I was going to have to find a more balanced way of living it.  As I previously mentioned, a central part of my life has been focused on reaching goals.  Since I want to live a more balanced life, I was aware that some changes would be necessary in order to find the balance I was seeking.

 

                                In my life I have always enjoyed drawing, reading, writing, discussions with other people regarding interesting topics, and exercise.  One of the benefits of studying Chinese to me is that when I am writing characters I feel as if I am actually drawing them.  This shift in thinking allows me to feel my artistic side being engaged while studying which is a feeling that I enjoy having. 

 

                                I have taken it upon myself to read at least one chapter a day in any book.  Since I arrived in China I have read "The Horse Whisper"; "Gun, Germs, and Steel"; "The Hound of the Baskervilles"; "The Call of the Wild"; "Nazi Germany"- Jane Caplan; "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"; and I am currently half way through reading "Factory Girls".  Keeping my mind engaged on a topic outside of studying Chinese has allowed me to keep my mind exploring other topics.

 

                                I have continued to write my blog throughout my first semester in Beibei.  It is my goal to maintain my blog throughout my time in China as I feel that writing is a crucial part of the reflection process for me.  I think that the art of introspection is becoming lost in the fast-paced twenty-first century we live in. 

 

                                If I am to remember my time in China then I would be wise to keep a clear accounting of my time abroad.  I also feel that having to transform thoughts into prose is a good intellectual exercise for me.  I need to keep myself sharp if I am going to have a chance to achieve the goals that I have set for myself in the future.  A third benefit which comes from writing is improved awareness of my thoughts and the world around me.  Sometimes, I can see solutions to problems more clearly after putting them into prose.  In rare cases, this reflective transparency allows me to even see problems which I had previously left unimagined.

 

                                I have found that discussing things with people in China has recently become more interesting for me.  This newly discovered insight has come from my increased ability to communicate in Chinese. 

 

                                I now find myself talking with people in Chinese who I would have previously only spoken to in English.  Being able to discuss a variety of topics with friends and students in Chinese has made my experience here much more colorful.  Although it makes me happy that the majority of my time now is spent communicating in Chinese; nonetheless, I also enjoy speaking with friends and family in English.  One of my recurring fears is that my English will get worse the longer I am living in China.  I want to make sure that this does not happen to me; therefore, speaking with those who cannot speak Chinese is also important to me.

 

                                During my lifetime, I struggle the most with finding a way to balance the amount of time I exercise.  If I want to exercise in a responsible manner then I need to set a time limit for myself to keep; otherwise, I have discovered that I could keep working out for hours if I do not have a time restriction in place. 

 

                                During the last couple of weeks in Minnesota I began to notice that my right-hamstring had been overused and needed a break from running.  Once I returned to China, I began to focus on biking, exercising my core muscles, and doing push-ups in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  Doing these types of exercises have been perfect for me since they allow me to stay healthy without taking too much time to complete.

 

                                Keeping a balance in my routine has been the key to my success during my first two months in China.  The fact that I am busier now than at any point in my stay in China has had no bearing on my constitution.  I attribute this feeling of equilibrium to the balance that I have found in my daily routine.  I will focus the next blog on some of the more interesting experiences that I have had during my first two months in China. 

No comments:

Post a Comment