Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Service Learning Project: An Opportunity to Change Lives




                                Not organizing extra-curricular activities with my students has been one of my biggest complaints so far in China.  At times, I shied away from getting involved in work outside of the classroom because I was afraid that I would become a burden for my students.  My unease at organizing extra-curricular activities stemmed from having difficulty in understanding language, culture, and a desire to have as much free time as possible to myself outside of teaching.

 

                                The first two objections took some time and effort in ameliorating.  At first glance, the third objection should have taken me the least amount of time to change since it related to attitude; however, overtime the more I contemplated my problem the more I felt puzzled.  In the end, I decided that the last reason was the most ridiculous for me to accept; was I not in China to work with others?  I recently concluded that this feeling of sadness is attributed to my sometimes rocky relationship with self. 

 

                                At times, I have not loved myself which has effectively helped to direct me towards despairing roads of personal torture.  It is a sad truth that confiding more to one's self and less in others helps to increase the severity and duration of one's malaise.  Unfortunately, when one is feeling quite depressed they rarely want to share their true feelings with others.  Likewise, depression becomes a self-sustaining leviathan once the process of cutting-off contact with the outside world begins.

 

                                When I returned to China I knew that it was time for me to step out of the shadows of my former self and assume the role that I always had wanted to lead in life.  As is the case in any situation there were several reasons for me to feel this way.  One important reason was that I had just spent six months at home and felt rejuvenated.  While at home, I had done a lot of thinking and was able to thoroughly construct a curriculum around the project I had in mind.

 

                                Another important reason was being with my family while dad battled cancer.  Experiencing a scare with cancer has the effect of teaching people to value their time on this earth.  I knew that time was waiting for no one and I needed to act in order to direct my life down the path I had always wanted it to take.

 

                                Finally, my language skills and cultural awareness had matured to the point where I knew that I could handle the extra work without putting any extra burden of responsibility on my students.

 

                                Before I left for China I had great conversations with a couple of my Chinese mentors.  One of them was with a personal friend who I have assisted in consulting affairs in Tianjin, China.  I really enjoyed hearing my friend's perspectives and encouragement regarding the project I was proposing.  This friend is a Chinese-American who was born in China before immigrating to the United States.  I really valued my friend's input into the project since they had gone through the Chinese education system growing up in Tianjin.

 

                                I also had the opportunity to ask a Chinese alumnus from Saint John's University about his opinion on the project.  There advice and guidance helped me to consider unforeseen problems and obstacles in the way of organizing a successful project. 

 

                                I was taken aback by the level of support that both of my Chinese friends showed me during our discussions.  Both of my friends argued that it was important to get more students involved in extra-curricular activities and volunteer work in their free-time.  I was also warned that I would experience difficulties in organizing my volunteer project.  I was told that my students would first regard the volunteer work as an assignment and probably have little enthusiasm for it.  My friends also argued that giving my students the opportunity to choose their own projects might be too liberal of me.  Many of my students would not be accustomed to having this much freedom of choice.  Finally, my friends emphasized that is was critical that I do as much work as I could in guiding my students in the right direction during the project.

 

                                I also had the opportunity of mentioning the project to Professor Richard Bohr before leaving for China.  My Chinese history professor's opinion was that the project was a great idea, and that it could possibly lead to a service learning component being added into the college's permanent curriculum.  We talked for a while and both shared the goal of getting the CSBSJU fall semester abroad program involved in the program as well.  In that way, CSBSJU students could meet more friends on the campus, be engaged in the Chinese community, and find a good person to practice speaking Chinese with too!

No comments:

Post a Comment