Wednesday, April 9, 2014

San Francisco Trip: A Great Experience to Connect with Family and Friends

 

                                I had the opportunity to spend a week in San Francisco before leaving for China at the end of February.  San Francisco is a natural in-between layover from Minnesota to China which made visiting there on my way to China an easy decision for me.

 

                                My aunt and uncle live in Alameda, California a peaceful island community situated on the Oakland side of the bay.  Being able to see them in California is always a wonderful experience since they are both always so full of life. 

 

                                The diagnosis of my uncle's cancer last year has naturally drastically changed their situation in Alameda.  Having to fight for your life changes people, and I knew that my uncle's constitution might be rattled a little bit from going through the whole ordeal.

   

                                Paul's situation when I arrived in San Francisco was consistent in the sense that he was consistently in the hospital trying to recover after undergoing several operations on his stomach.   His first operation was performed in December in order to remove a tumor in his stomach.  After this first operation, Paul lost his ability to process whole foods in his small intestines.  From the middle of December until now Paul has been unable to process whole foods.  Complications from the first surgery forced the expediency of other operations since December.

The result of that first operation has been his almost perpetual stay in the hospital over the past few months.  Paul is still currently limited to a liquid diet which has had a ghastly effect on his body. 

 

                                These factors convinced me that it would probably be a sobering experience which awaited me in San Francisco.  When I arrived at the hospital in Oakland, I was encouraged to find that despite the difficulty of his situation he was still in good spirits.  I am truly amazed by his fighting spirit, and desire to battle on despite having faced so many early setbacks. 

 

                                Spending time with Paul reinforced my choice to return to China in the sense that I saw how precious time can be in life.  It is apropos to say that time waits for no one, and if you do not seize the day the chances that your life force will be utterly spent on the completion of tasks below your standard is an absolute certainty.

 

                                Also During this week I also had the fortune of spending time with some of my good friends from high school: Elliot, and Johan.  On this trip, I had for only the second time in three years been able to see my best friend: Elliot Thomas.  Being able to spend a few days with my long-time friend was pretty special since distance had barred us from such a reunion over the past couple of years. 

 

                                While I was living in China teaching and studying, Elliot was living in Costa Rica volunteering with the Peace Corps.  The natural distance and extended nature of our time abroad pushed us to maintain our friendship through email and facebook.  Through these correspondences, we both discovered new things about the other person which might never have come to light had we had maintained our normal forms of interaction.  In all honesty, I feel that using different mediums to communicate has an enlightening quality to it.  I feel that one can really improve their usage of language over a long-period of time if they stick with writing.  In this way, I am not surprised that both of us improved our communication skills and learned the value of using print to interact with others.

 

                                When I was with Elliot and Johan we always seemed to find something fun or interesting to do.  Elliot took a couple of days off of work which allowed us to take half day trips to both Mir Woods and Sonoma County.  During my stay in San Francisco, we spent a lot of time in the city itself which I found to be quit a unique experience.  Out of all of the places I have traveled to San Francisco holds a high position regarding the amount of entertainment it offers for young-adults. 

 

                                Each district of the city possessed its own distinct feel and had the markings of the specific culture which inhabited its area.  San Francisco encapsulates Asian, Latino, Caucasian, and African cultures depending on where go.  I unfortunately did not have enough time to pick up on more than the obvious differences between these areas.  If I had spent more time in the city I undoubtedly would have stumbled upon other distinct cultural areas in that enormously diverse city.

 

                                After the completion of my week in San Francisco, I felt really re-energized to return to China.  My batteries had been fully-charged during my wonderful time visiting friends and family.  On the eve of my disembarkation from San Francisco, I made sure to tell everyone how much I appreciated their hospitality during my stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment