Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Personal Struggle: How we act When Tragedy Occurs




 

                                From my perspective, it would be understandable to say that I felt a sense of shock upon hearing my dad's diagnosis.  Honestly, it is difficult to describe all of the emotions that enter into your consciousness at once upon hearing such news.  I certainly felt fear, foreboding, anxiety, and sadness all at once after I learned of dad's prognosis.  In order to cope with this traumatic news, I instinctively turned to denial, repression, and escapism in order to cope with the harshness of reality.  Before I go into further details about how these different types of defense mechanisms played a role in my mental state upon hearing the diagnosis of my father's cancer, I must comment briefly on the effect this news had on me while living in China.

 

                                To say that I was completely unprepared for this type of news would have been an understatement.  Truthfully, even in the best of circumstances my support system in China would have been hard-pressed to absorb the blow of hearing such devastating news back home.  I have maintained several good relationships with friends and colleagues during my time in China; however, I cannot say that they can bear the weight of such grave tragedies as well as my support system back.

 

                                Life can become a burden to maintain when distance separates you from the ones you love.  It is cliché to say it, but just being able to comfort a loved one in a time of crisis is a central part of the healing process for humans. 

 

                                Through experiences with different emergencies in life, I have learned that growing up I tried to stay optimistic during a crisis in order to show a sense of calm to those nearby.  My belief being that remaining calm in a time of crisis equated to nothing being amiss in reality.  The next logical step my mind took was that since nothing had changed nothing was actually wrong.  Obviously, this type of defense mechanism promotes escapism with a capital E.

 

                                During the banal vicissitudes of life we tend to completely forget about the tenuous state our existence is in.  Literally at any moment our lives can become irrevocably changed by some unimagined devilry; yet, we tend to exert much more time worrying about the minor frivolities of life.  In reality, if the mind focused on all of the threats it might face a person would not be able to leave the safety of their beds in the morning. 

 

                                Careful analysis of the aforementioned habitual mental processes at a minimum corroborate that human beings have a biological threshold for analyzing their own existence.  If a human crosses that line and begins to think too often about their own demise then they risk suffering from debilitating depression. 

 

                                I would also like to point out that the above evidence argues that humans are extremely conflicted creatures who instinctively recoil against accepting the harshness of reality.  Avoiding problems might seem like the safe thing to do in the moment; however, the longer we hold off accepting reality the more we risk facing a debilitating depression at some point in time following the inevitable realization that things are quite different now.  The reality that your deportment is literally under the micro scope during a crisis only works to exacerbate the problem for those of us who feel consciously aware of the societal norms supposedly needed to be filled in the midst of a crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment