Saturday, March 8, 2014

Back at Home: How Can It Be This Hard?




 

                                Once I had returned to the United States it did not take me too long to realize that maintaining our long distance relationship was going to be extremely difficult for me.  Even in the beginning, the thirteen-hour time difference between Minnesota and South Korea seemed to be a difficult obstacle for me to overcome.  Overtime, I noticed a positive correlation between the decreasing lengths of our conversation on Skype and the lessening degree in which I thought about our relationship in my daily life.

 

                                By this point, I forced myself to take some time to really think about the harsh turn reality was taking in my life.  Since the direction of our relationship seemed to be going in a negative one I knew that it was time for me to turn to reflection, prayer, and guidance in regards to moving forward in life.  Together it became clear to me that it was time to accept the reality in front of me and do the right thing.

 

                               Writing this portion of the blog has really helped me to put a finger on the necessity of this difficult decision: COMPASSION.  If I had every really cared for this individual then I had a responsibility to free her from a dead-end path in which our relationship was currently heading on.  Since I am as egocentric of an individual as most humans I also was concerned about my own self-efficacy moving forward.  Thus, I had made my final-decision and now was going to have to implement my plan of action in the most humane way possible.  I was going to tell the truth.

 

                                In hopes of being able to leave Lainey with some sense of pride I tried to explain the logic of my reasoning as clearly as possible.  Despite of our best efforts to strike a pacific chord in life our protestations often times fail to hit the mark in reality.  In my case, this could not have been closer to the truth as my first messages resulted in confusing more than enlightening Laney.  Over the course of several clarifying messages we were both able to finally realize that our break-up was truly the only possible solution to the current state of affairs between us.

 

                                In hindsight, I am extremely grateful to have had such a great learning, caring, and rewarding experience with Lainey.  In the course of my personal maturation, I am certain that I have not matured more in as short of a time as I did with Laney.  I can say with great certainty that I am today a more whole person for the experience.  Therefore, I must say it once more, thank you Laney for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment