Sunday, March 9, 2014

Traveling to Japan: An Opportunity to See a Culture Unique to Its Own




                                From an early I have always seemed attracted to the uniqueness of Japanese culture.  In all honestly, if you asked me prior to living in China which Asian culture I was most interested in I would have definitely said Japanese.  My fascination with Japanese culture led me to make the next most logical decision: travel to Japan.  Due to my cultural interest in Japan, I would have been hard pressed to have lived in Asia as long as I have and not made the trip over to the country of the "Rising Sun".

 

                                Since I am actually not as prophetic as I had once imagined myself to be, I booked my flights, hostels, and JR Rail Pass in January of 2013 without the slightest sense that any unexpected life-altering event would cause me to strongly reconsider my planned voyage.

 

                I found out in May that my father had been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a type of blood marrow cancer, which put me on full-tilt. Of course, I can write all of the superlatives, "shocked", "traumatized", "frightened", etcetera and they would all be absolutely apropos for the course.  As I will go into this event further in the subsequent blogs I see no need to elaborate any further in the present besides to say that this event almost caused me to alter my trip to Japan for obvious reasons.

 

                                Naturally, whenever one travels alone there is added pressure put on the individual.  In my case, I also had the added stress of knowing that I was going to have to separate from my girlfriend for the first time in our short relationship.  The fact that I was already a little nervous about my father's illness only worked to increase my sense of anxiety leading up to my day of embarkation to Japan.

 

                                The beauty of traveling is that once you start a new adventure all of the prior reservations you may have had beforehand seem to be replaced with the even greater sense of excitement that starts to posses you.  This sense of excitement truly comes from being able to embrace the uncertainty of the situation about to unfold before you in a foreign land.  In my mind, it is hard to overstate the visceral quality this emotion seems to impart on the adventurous soul.

 

                                On my flight from Hong Kong to Tokyo I was surprised to find that there was a group of American travelers on the plan representing a team from the television show, "The Amazing Race".  The added celebrity on my flight over to Japan kept me engaged on the way over to Japan which had the unintended consequence of keeping me from doing much sleeping...  Obviously, this is not the best way for someone to start off a new adventure on their own!

 

                                Before arriving at Tokyo-Narita Airport I was extremely curious to see how I would respond to traveling completely alone in Japan.  In my time abroad I have often traveled with others and not taken the initiative to plan out an entire trip on my own until I did so in Japan.  Thus, I was actually quite interested to see how I would respond to such an original experience for me.

 

                                Once our plane landed, it did not take me long to realize that I was a more experienced traveler than I had previously thought.  I was able to navigate the currency exchange, light rail, and metro of Tokyo all without even the smallest of problems.  In reality, the only vexing issue I ran into on that first day was trying to find my hostel's street address after exciting the metro in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment