Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Plans Diverted: An Unexpected Diagnosis




                                By the month of May I definitely knew something was wrong back in Minnesota.  I had known for months that my parents were both extremely excited about their upcoming trip with their best friends to Spain and France.  What seemed exceptionally strange to me was the manner in which their enthusiasm for their trip stopped showing during our conversations on skype.  I later learned that my parents were becoming more and more anxious regarding my dad's rotator cuff surgery taking place that month.

 

                                During our weekly skype conversations, my dad told me that he had been able to manage his pain okay without medication leading up to May.  Early in the month he started to notice a discernible increase in the severity of pain he was feeling in his shoulder.  An additional concern for me was that dad mentioned to me that his energy levels had been decreasing in the past few months.  Since my dad's job is usually pretty stressful this comment at first seemed trivial at the most; however, as time went by I started to notice more warning signs which led me to conclude that something was definitely amiss. 

 

                                Undeniably, these signs should have lead me to suspect the underlining problem; however, I somehow remained blithely unaware until my parents informed me that the rotator cuff shoulder revealed an even greater problem hidden within a cluster of sinuous tissue.   Undoubtedly, the news that the surgery unmasked a large tumor in my dad's shoulder was certainly the worst outcome we could have imagined.

 

                                The follow tests uncovered the extent to which my father's cancer had already spread in his body as well as gave us a diagnosis to rally around: Multiple Myeloma.  After thinking over the results of my father's diagnosis, my parents made the sage decision to seek treatment for dad's cancer at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. 

 

                                By this point in time, the family decided together that it was best for me to come home and support the family during dad's treatments.  Knowing that in the upcoming months I was going to be back home and going through the treatment and healing process with my family left me in a tumultuous state.  Honestly, even though I was excited and ready to get home and help the family I also was selfishly nervous.  As the following paragraphs will describe, I felt that I may not be strong enough to withhold all of the trying times back home.  I knew that I had never gone through a similar experience and I truthfully was quite anxious to know how I would respond to the adverse circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment