Tuesday, March 4, 2014


Decision Time:  Where Does Taking The Road Less Traveled Lead You?

                                Strangely, I began my second semester at Southwest semester with a heavy heart.  Ironically, I managed to return from my month-long trip with almost more angst than I had before I left for it.  Indeed, the question of whether I would renew my teaching contract in China for another year definitely weighed heavily on my heart.  At that time I felt that the course of my whole life was at stake.  The added pressure I put on myself had the unintended effect of making me lose my sense of balance in life.  I knew that I could not stay in this tenuous state much longer, and I needed to find a way to resolve the situation as soon as I had the opportunity to.  

 

                                In order to lessen my discomfort I sought out consul from some of the most inspirational, important, and wise mentors I had met along the road of my life.  I especially tried to focus my attention on the people who had positively impacted my experience while in China.  To this effect, I was able to garner a lot of great advice from trusted advisors which really helped alleviate some of my irrational fears.  Nonetheless, I was able to also learn that in order to be successful in a "China" centered career I would need to continue to improve upon my burgeoning Chinese communication skills as well as pass a high level on the HSK (汉语水平考试)exam.

 

                                After hearing the advice of friends and family it seemed blatantly obvious to me that if I was going to stay in China that I had my work cut out for me.  In order to be successful in China I would need to continue working hard on my improving my language skills, get a variety of experiences in different working environments, and most importantly: network.  After reflection, I guess I cannot say that the practicality of the advice I received did not seem too shocking to me; rather, some of my responses to the questions posed by those assisting in my decision making process certainly were thought-provoking.  Chiefly, I was surprised to hear how readily I seemed willing to continue living abroad for an indefinite period of time.  Upon reflection, it seems striking to me that I would so readily assent to remain on a career path which I had up until the past few years never considered as a viable course for me to take in life. 

 

                                This two-three week period was also coupled with some in-depth research on several different career options for me to consider following after my time teaching and studying in China.  I began to consider the corporate, education, Foreign Service, continued education, and consultant tracks as possible options for me to consider at the termination of my present contract.  Honestly, I did not want to limit my personal imagination or career opportunities because of my own ignorance of the requirements needed to reach such goals. 

 

                                Altogether, the collection and evaluation of information seemed to really clarify my decision to renew my contract at Southwest University for another year.  The termination of my ruminations regarding my future also had a rejuvenating quality to it.  I soon found that I had my normal smile and easy-going attitude back in my life which was great.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment