Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Signs and Symptoms of Distress: Coping with Trauma




 

                               I would say that I experienced several stages of grief upon hearing the news of my father's diagnosis.  First, I can frankly say that I resorted to telling myself that everything was okay back home.  Dad was clearly in the best hands possible and that the doctors were the ones who could truly heal him anyway.  I feel that in no small way living abroad at this time contributed to the decision of choosing this defense mechanism.  Obviously escapism is the most effective method to employ for someone who is already away in the first place...    

 

                                The phrase, out of sight out of mind" definitely comes into play here for I really tried to do my best to resume life as normally as I could in China.  Contrary to my wishes, the passing of a couple of weeks ushered in the realization that I could not maintain this masquerade much longer.  There was a point where I finally realized that I could only heal from the pain I was feeling by candidly talking with friends, students, and colleagues about my dad's cancer.  To my benefit, after a couple of conversations I could already feel that this tactic would ultimately help my overall strategy of dealing with pain more successfully than my previous attempts to escape from reality.   

 

                                Going through this process taught me the value of being honest.  In normal conversations it does not take people too long to recognize who is being honest with them.  Likewise, even when we imagine ourselves to be extremely deceiving we are actually much more transparent than we would like to believe when trying to lie to others.  In any event, being aware of the value of honesty is definitely a pre-requisite to being able to cope with trauma in our lives.

 

                                In my opinion, the categories of, "repression" and "escapism" both fall hand in hand.  When I repressed my fears about my father I attempted to place all of my energy on other tasks that would keep my mind off of reality.  Given that my prodigious imagination knows no boundary, I found that I was very successful in this pursuit.  Only through the passage of time was I able to see the folly of my ways and accept that it was time to move forward with newest changes in my life.

 

                                For me, the real watershed moment was when it was decided that I was to come and help out the family for six months.  Knowing that I was soon going to have to face my fears changed my outlook on the situation.  At the time, I correctly guessed that my experience moving forward with my father's illness was going to change dramatically.  Only through the passage of time would I be able to see how greatly these changes would impact my life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment