Friday, March 21, 2014

Coming Home: Facing New Challenges in a Changing World


                                Actually, the offer that I received came more in the form of an obligation I felt I needed to perform.  My parents asked me if I could manage to come home the following semester in order to help out the family while dad was fighting cancer.  At first, I honestly struggled with this offer since I was afraid to face the reality of the situation back home.  Indeed, I found myself in the proverbial, "rock and a hard place," since I knew I should go home to be with the family regardless of my personal discomfort with the harshness of reality.

 

                                Through the healing forces of time, I am now able to look back upon my selfish obstinacy with a sense of disgust, sadness, and empathy all at the same time practically.  I guess it is safe to say that I was living a divided life at that time of crisis.

 

                                The latest news I was hearing about dad's condition was more encouraging than what I had previously heard.  Thankfully, the doctors told us that dad was going to be getting his stem-cell transplant around the middle of October.  Hearing this news really helped to lift up my down spirit around the time I was to return home. 

 

                                Another big change in my life was related to the status of my relationship with 陈诗文. The decision was made between us to try and maintain our relationship while we were apart.  This decision was difficult for both of us to manage since neither of us had prior experience with long-distance relationships.

 

                                On top of that I was coming back to a world that was infinitely different from the one I had become used to in my previous life in Minnesota with the passing of Grandpa Kottom.  Facing this obstacle I knew would be difficult for me because my grandpa played such an inspirational role in my life.

 

                                All of the above aforementioned changes overshadowed the two obvious challenges which would also meet me upon arriving home.  First, I was not going to be in China for an entire semester as I was going to be needed to assist the family during that period of time.  Second, I was going to have to suspend my studies and put my personal ambitions on hold while I was at home helping the family out.

 

        It remains interesting to me how clearly the present can make the past look in retrospect.  Looking back on my past ruminations tells me that I was at that time in my life living a very selfish, egotistical, and ultimately divided existence.  For many reasons I was struggling at that time with being able to let my parent's struggles enter my consciousness.

 

                                The beauty of getting to where I am now is that I can accept all of these truths and move on in a way that neither rejects nor accepts the past.  This type of peace can only come from the power of allowing awareness to enter our consciousness.  In order to protect ourselves from sliding back into a recurring nightmare of continued error a person must learn to listen to the signs of reality in front of us, become aware of our own thought-process, and accept the imperfections of our nature.  True consciousness really can exist if we allow our awareness to reach that level; however, if we never give it a real chance than of course we will continue to miss out from the lessons that may have been learned only through the process of becoming aware.  Remember, it is often impossible to see something if we are blind!

 

                                Another poignant observation that I should make is about the manner in which I was living a divided life.  At that time, I was painfully aware my soul's desire to answer the call to help my parents; regardless, I was still completely blind to the reality of why I was struggling to move forward regarding these seemingly simple questions. 

 

                                Truthfully, this struggle has taken me until the very present to answer in its entirety.  The fact remains that I was living a divided life primarily because I had always grown up rejecting the person I truly was born to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment