Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Stem Cell Transplant: Undergoing a Physical Rebirth




                                To my mind, spending time with my family at the Mayo Clinic was a period of lasting importance to me.  Knowing that this was where my dad and a team of professionals would make a stand against his cancer made this place one of immense importance to me.  

 

                                Upon arriving at the Mayo, it did not take me too long to realize that things were going to go well for us at this Mecca of medicine.  Having already personally experienced care for injuries at several different hospitals in my lifetime, I can tell rather quickly what level of care a specific institution is offering its patients.  This sense of quality comes from years of experience with sports injuries which tended to be magnified by the intense level of competition I played in.

 

                                I could almost instantly feel that the quality of care at the Mayo Clinic was second to none.  From the first time that my parents went down to Rochester I felt very comfortable with dad receiving cancer treatments there.  In my mind, everyone working at the Mayo Clinic appeared to personify professionalism, care, and dedication to their jobs. 

 

                                Receiving this type of quality care really was a boon to the family's collective constitution after learning of dad's diagnosis.  All of these positive aspects seemed to calm my parent's nerves and make the whole experience of going down to Rochester almost enjoyable for us.

 

                                Fortunately, for our group dad did not have to spend too much time down in Rochester during his preliminary medical screenings.  Living in the state of Minnesota really helped us out in this regard because we did not have to travel great distances to and from appointments.  The Mayo Clinic also re-arranged my father's treatment schedule, so we did not have to stay so many extra days down in Rochester before dad's stem cell transplant. 

 

                                Naturally, the most amazing episode of this whole experience for me was dad's stem cell transplant.  Since his treatment had been moved back a few weeks; this is normal when dealing with a high volume of transplant patients, our transplant day was moved to November 1st.

 

                                On this fateful day our group arrived extra early; 5:15 a.m., in accordance with transplant procedures.  The transplant process itself was going to be quite slow since it would take several hours for all of his stem cells to completely absorb into his system.

 

                                I learned that the stem cells themselves are kept in frozen containers until the day of the transplant.  On the transplant day they are removed from their frozen containers and carefully soften into liquid form through a process of liquefaction.  This process takes several minutes as one nurse works on warming up the stem cells and another tends to the verification of the donor / host.

               

                                Being able to witness this awesome moment of rebirth truly was a special one for me.  The three of us were truly excited by the air of anticipation collectively felt by all upon receiving the first of three transplants.  This long day spent in the hospital truly was one of transcendent power which seemed to impart on all of us the sense that although the future was uncertain there was now a sense of hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment