Friday, March 28, 2014

The Gift of Life Transplant Home: Long days Spent in the Blessing of Kindness




                                From the first time our family visited the Gift of Life Transplant home in Rochester, MN I felt perfectly comfortable with lodging there.  The entire staff exuded confidence, kindness, and respect for each guest and patient staying at their facility.  On that first visit to the G.O.L home our family was given a tour of the faculties.  During this tour there was one thing above all else that left a lasting impression on me.

 

                                I was truly amazed at how clean everything was kept at the home and how serious everyone was in regards to keeping it that way.  Since I had never before seen a place such as the G.O.L home I was surprised by the constant collective effort needed by all in order to keep everything sanitized.  During my time down in Rochester, I learned that this steadfast diligence is maintained in order to protect patients from infection.  Patients who are going to receive a transplant usually already have a weakened immune system; therefore, guarding against infections becomes a serious matter for people around transplant patients.

 

                                One of the rules regarding staying at the G.O.L home was that the period of stay was determined by the vicissitudes of their convalescence; thus, the period of stay could be flexible to cater to the needs of those already staying at the home.  This flexible lodging arrangement did have a drawback though for those looking to reserve lodging in advance of their stay at the home.  Since lodging could not be guaranteed, our group could not be certain of our reservations at the home until several weeks leading up to receiving treatments in Rochester.

 

                                Overall, our whole group was extremely impressed with our tour of the facilities and decided that we would pursue lodging at the G.O.L home.  Fortunately, when the time came there were rooms available for our family at the home.

 

                                In total, I spent over two weeks in Rochester from the beginning of my time home in August until I left for China in February.  The vast majority of that time in Rochester was spent at the G.O.L home with my father.  My time of stay with my father in Rochester contained two main periods of treatments for his cancer.  The first week we spent in Rochester consisted mainly of pre-physical examinations which all patients must pass in advance of receiving a transplant. 

 

                                After dad passed all of his exams he was cleared for transplant on that first Friday that we were down in Rochester.  The stem-cell transplant was definitely one of the highlights of my experience back home over the past six months.  It just cannot be overstated how wonderful of an experience it was for all of us.

 

                                During these weeks dad and I often talked, played card games, read, watched television, or went on short walks together.  Overall, the time spent at the G.O.L. home seemed to go by pretty slow for me which meant that the time went by ten times slower for my father.  Honestly, listing all of the rules and restrictions placed on a transplant recipient would be too arduous of a task for this blog.  Let us just say that I admired my dad's courage for going through those long and gloomy days of recovery with only me at his side.

 

                                At the end of my two weeks down in Rochester my mother came down to replace me as the primary-care giver for dad.  On the advent of my return to Eden Prairie I felt a sense of achievement at not allowing dad's health to depreciate too much during our time together.  I also was happy to know that I had played a positive role in keeping my dad's spirits high during some of those tough early days down in Rochester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment