Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tokyo: A City Built For Fun

 
                                Despite getting less than five hours of sleep on my flight over from China I was still able to make the most out of that first day in Tokyo.  I started off my day of sightseeing by walking about ten minutes from my hostel to see a traditional Japanese Buddhist temple.  While walking around the temple complex I had the pleasure of running into another traveler from the United States.  Together we decided that having a couple of beers while touring different parts of the city sounded like a pretty good idea.  To this day, I am completely ignorant as to what the laws are regarding open-bottle containers in Tokyo.  If we did violate a city ordinance, I am at least glad that we were not caught during our time carousing together.
 
                                I started out the next day with a morning run alongside the Sumida River in downtown Tokyo.  During the course of my time traveling abroad I have always tried my best to run outside at least one time in each place I have visited.  Since Tokyo is a pedestrian friendly city I did not have any trouble finding a safe place to run; however, I am not always so lucky when traveling.  Bangkok, Thailand is one such place that really sticks out in my mind as being exceptionally dangerous for pedestrians.  Fortunately for me, I found that running in Tokyo was an overall relaxing and enjoyable experience for me.
 
                                After the morning run I decided it was time to visit some of Tokyo's must see tourists spots including the Asakusa temples, Meiji shrine, and Imperial palace.  In the evening, I ventured out to the busy Shibuya district and enjoyed a dinner of Okonomiyaki; similar in concept to a western omelet.  Afterwards, I walked around Tokyo's Shibuya district and enjoyed watching people get engulfed in the madness which planned obsolescence seems to have on consumerism today.
 
                                The following day already marked the end of my first leg of traveling in Japan.  That morning I got up bright in order to catch a bullet train heading for Kyoto.  Honestly, I can say that this awesome experience really left a strong impression on me.  In earnest I can safely say that the Japanese public transportation system is the best I have ever been on in my life.    Throughout my travels I have never been to a country which values efficiency in travel as much as Japan does.  Sure enough, by 12:04:22 the train 12:04 bullet train bound for Kyoto left the Tokyo station racing towards its final destination.  The ride itself was extremely smooth and comfortable.  If the opportunity once again presents itself for me to visit Japan I would once again look fondly upon using the public transportation system.

No comments:

Post a Comment