Thursday, March 13, 2014

Hiroshima: A Legacy of Despair and Hope


From Kyoto I took another bullet train to the coastal city of Hiroshima.  Seeing firsthand the infamous legacy of atomic destruction was going to be one of the more harrowing experiences for me while traveling in Japan.  While on the bullet train I tried to mentally prepare myself for what I was about to experience shortly.

 

                                After checking into my hostel that morning I promptly headed over to the Peace Park on one of Hiroshima's trolley bus lines.  The Peace Park was built to memorialize the loss of life and commemorate the survivors of the Atomic bomb dropped there on August 6th, 1945 by the United States of America.

 



                                Once at the park, I remember sitting alongside the river facing the eerily recognizable A-bomb domed structure; one of the only remaining structures left standing from that ominous day for posterities sake, and being captivated by the vicious images of the bomb exploding near the very spot eight and sixty years ago.  True as the words I speak, I tried my best to try and imagine the destruction that must have taken place that day.  Frankly speaking, I know that even my creative imagination failed in capturing the true tragedy that surely took place that day in August.
After half a day's time at the Peace Park I resolved myself to visit something different that afternoon.  Although the Atomic bomb destroyed most of Hiroshima in 1945 most of the major historical landmarks have been reconstructed since; therefore, I was able to spend a couple of hours visiting the re-built Hiroshima castle that afternoon.
 
                               One of my highlights of traveling in Hiroshima was being able to take the city trolley line throughout the city.  The Trolley itself was a little slow and probably in need of an upgrade; nonetheless, the line was still the most cost-effective way of traveling in the city.  At times my mind harkened back to riding on San Francisco's historical trolley lines.
 
                                Another highlight from my time while in Hiroshima was meeting a fellow person from Chongqing.  Our auspicious acquaintance started out harmlessly enough.  I was walking through the busy street stalls of Hiroshima looking for somewhere to order my new favorite food, Okonomiyaki, when I heard someone implore me in English to stop at their shop to eat.  After talking with the waitress for a few minutes I was able to ascertain that she a Chinese foreign exchange student studying in Hiroshima.
 
                                Since my Chinese was actually deemed superior to her English we switched languages during the course of our conversation.  While talking with my new friend I was somewhat accosted by a young Japanese man and his fellow workmates from another food stall nearby.  This group was lead by a man named Koskei.  Since Koskei's brother lived in New York City Koskie had a pretty good understanding of the United States which helped to make our acquaintance all the more fortuitous. 
 
                                Through the course of the evening I was entreated to drink copious amounts of Saki while enjoying the company of my new friends from the Far East.  In all honesty, these are the reasons I like to travel abroad by myself.  I am always grateful for meeting new people in the midst of traveling who share in my incorrigible love for living, people, and ideas. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment